About this blog
This blog is about whatever I'm interested in right now. I tend to have many interests that change over time. Here's a rough list:
- Self-hosting, which I'm working on right now. I want to make it easy for technically competent people to move their families and friends off malignant centralized platforms like Gmail, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Humane Design, which I've moved away from in favor of benign design. What's the difference? I'll get around to writing a post about it at some point.
- Re-designing my damn website.
- Photography, which I'm still into but don't have time for at the moment. Here are some of my photos.
My name is Derek Meer. I write software and design web pages. I live in a small town in central California. Here's what you should know about me:
- Health is my top priority. I try to take care of myself through frequent exercise, healthy eating, and adequate sleep.
- I was homeschooled for six years. As a result, I have some pretty strong (negative) opinions about public education in the United States.
- I like to help you solve your own problems rather than solve your problem for you.
- I enjoy learning. If I want to learn about something, I'll build it myself. If I'm working more than I'm learning, I'll try to change my approach.
- When I have to work, I prefer to use boring technology to do it.
If you want to learn more about how I work, I wrote a personal user manual so my colleagues can understand my work habits.
If you're into personality types, mine is INFJ-A. If you like Clifton Strengths, mine are: Learner, Restorative, Belief, Empathy, and Futuristic.
I don't like centralized content platforms, so I'm not on social media. The best way to reach me is via my email: email@example.com. Feel free to reach out about whatever, I like talking to people.
The mailing list
I have a mailing list, too! I might send mail when I come up with something interesting to send. It won't be that often, I promise.
You can subscribe to the list by sending mail to the designated subscription address. Similarly, you can unsubscribe from the list by sending mail to the designated unsubscription address.